Match No. 195 - Wednesday, 14th November 1934
England 3 - 2 Italy
- Giuseppe Meazza, 58'
- Giuseppe Meazza, 62'
- Luisito Monti
- The Battle of Highbury: Luisito Monti broke his foot tackling Ted Drake directly after kickoff and the remaining Italians were adamant that it was deliberate.
They spent the rest of the first half seeking retribution rather than playing football. Hapgood had his nose broken, perhaps by a stray Italian elbow and had to leave the field for treatment.
He didn't return until England had scored their 3rd goal some 15 minutes later.
Injuries to Brook (broken arm), Bowden (ankle), Barker (hand) and Drake (gashed leg) were accompanied by other various cuts and brusies all round.
The second half was much quieter!
- Club Record: 7 Arsenal players appeared which is still a record at full international level.
- Missed Penalty: Eric Brook: 1st miss from 1st taken. "In the first minute of the match Drake broke through and was brought down in the penalty area [by Ceresoli]. Brook took the kick, and his shot was brilliantly saved by Ceresoli"
- Player Milestone: Frank Moss' Last Cap
- Player Milestone: George Male's 1st Cap
- Player Milestone: Ted Drake's 1st Cap
- Goal Milestone: Ted Drake's 1st Goal
- Player Milestone: Eddie Hapgood's 1st Captaincy
- The Times "England beat Italy", Thursday 15th November 1934, Page 6 & 14