Match No. 288 - Thursday, 17th June 1954, 6:10pm
England 4 - 4 Belgium
World Cup Finals (World Cup 1954) Pool 4 Game 1
- Match Info: First ever England match to progress to extra time.
- Match Info: The game was recorded as a draw after the 30 minutes of extra time. There were no penalty kicks.
- World Cup Format: The 1954 World Cup had a perculiar format. Two seeded teams would be drawn with two non-seeded teams in each of the four groups of four. Instead of the usual round-robin format the seeded teams only played the non-seeded teams and extra-time was used for group matches ending in a draw.
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Official FIFA report