Born: 5th July 1856, Aston, Birmingham
Died: 26th February 1943, Rugby aged 86
Positions whilst with England: Right Back
- Alf Harvey of Wednesbury Strollers was one of the most elusive of England Internationals. We knew only a little bit about his career; he played for Wednesbury Strollers, Aston Villa and Birmingham Exclesior and that he was described by Charles Alcock in his 1881 annual as "A clever, hard-working back; dodges well". In his only international his misplaced kick led to the Welsh winning goal.
Recent research undertaken by englandfootballonline.com leads them to believe that Alf Harvey was born in Aston, Birmingham on 5th July 1856. A transcription error on the orginal 1856 Birth Registration Index has his name down as 'Hervey' and could be the reason for his elusiveness for all this time. A gun barrel borer by trade.
- An English Football Internationals' Who's Who by Douglas Lamming (Hutton Press 1990)
- England's Who's Who by Tony Matthews (Pitch Publishing 2013)
- Birth Registration Sep 1956 Aston 6d 259
- Death Registration Mar 1943 Rugby 6d 929