Match No. 167 - Wednesday, 15th May 1929
Spain 4 - 3 England
- Gaspar Rubio, 35'
- Jaime Lazcano, 39'
- Gaspar Rubio, 79'
- Seve Goiburu, 82'
- Match InfoAfter Spain's equaliser "...the crowd surged over the rails and rushed on the ground in an endeavour to reach the scorer and embrace him. They were followed by a company of Civic Guards with drawn swords, who cleared the pitch with difficulty after some minutes interruption."
- First Defeat AbroadThe first defeat on the continent by England.
- Penalty: Joe Carter1st scored from 1 taken.
- Player MilestoneTed Hufton's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneFred Kean's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJack Hill's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJoe Peacock's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneEdgar Kail's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJoe Carter's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneLen Barry's Last Cap
- The Times "England beaten in Madrid", Thursday 16th May 1929, page 7.
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights co. 2013)
- Press Association "England Beaten in Spain", Thursday 16th May 1929.
- The Anatomy of England by Jonathan Wilson (Orion 2010)
- England - Committee
- Spain - Jose Maria Mateos
- John Langenus
Half Time Score
- England - 11th 1
- Spain - 7th