Match No. 65 - Saturday, 18th February 1899
England 13 - 2 Ireland
British Home Championship (Home Championship 1898-99)
- Frank Forman, 15'
- Fred Forman, 20'
- Charlie Athersmith, 21'
- Gilbert Oswald Smith, 32'
- Steve Bloomer, 40'
- Fred Forman, 52'
- Jimmy Settle, 53'
- Jimmy Settle, 55'
- Gilbert Oswald Smith, 59'
- Gilbert Oswald Smith, 60'
- Gilbert Oswald Smith, 63'
- Jimmy Settle, 80'
- Steve Bloomer, 89'
- Joe McAllen (pen) 65?
- James Campbell, 88'
- Match InfoStill the record number of goals scored by England in a single match.
- Match InfoAlso the highest aggregate goals (15) in a game involving England.
- Disallowed GoalWith the score at 4-0: "...in a skirmish in front of the Irish goal Smith placed into the net just after the whistle had sounded for offside."
- Missed Penalty: Gilbert Oswald Smith1st miss from 1st taken. At the start of the second half with the score 5-0 "...Smith was about to put the ball through when Lewis rushed at him, and threw him down. The referee awarded a penalty kick which was taken by Smith. Lewis saved by turning the ball aside..." The first penalty to be awarded to England, and the first one to be missed.
- Player MilestoneJohn Hillman's Only Cap
- Player MilestonePhil Bach's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneJimmy Settle's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneFred Forman's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneFrank Forman's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneFred Forman's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneJimmy Settle's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneGilbert Oswald Smith's 10th Goal
- The Times "England v Ireland", Monday 20th February 1899.
- Derby Daily Telegraph "England v Ireland", Monday 20th February 1899, page 3.
- Freeman's Journal "England v Ireland", Monday 20th February 1899, page 7.
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights co. 2013)
- Alexander Hamilton
- Between 12,000 and 15,000
Half Time Score
- England - 1st 0
- Ireland - 6th