- Whilst referees have been allowed to "warn" players or "send them from the field" since the 19th century the use of red and yellow cards were not adopted until the 1970 World Cup Finals in Mexico. Also the reporting of cautions were not widespread in contemporary media nor in official match reports even up until the 1966 World Cup finals making it difficult to document. After the '66 England-Argentina quarter-final in which Argentine captain Antonio Rattin was dismissed and three other Argentines had been booked, Alf Ramsay asked FIFA and the referee to clarify if both Jack and Bobby Charlton had been cautioned as well. They had, but in the melee of the match it was very unclear. As a direct result of that match, the head of FIFA's refereeing committee, Ken Aston, eventually struck on the idea of using a "traffic light" system of cards with yellow representing a caution and red as an expulsion.
We have been able to document 339 England Yellow Cards. But as detailed above, this list is not exhaustive.
Hover over the card for a description of the offence(s).
- 15 England Red Cards
- - Raheem Sterling (1st) 79th minute, v Ecuador, 4th Jun 2014, Friendly
- - Steven Gerrard (1st) 88th minute, v Ukraine, 11th Sep 2012, World Cup Qualifier
- - Wayne Rooney (2nd) 74th minute, v Montenegro, 7th Oct 2011, European Championship Qualifier
- - Rob Green (1st) 14th minute, v Ukraine, 10th Oct 2009, World Cup Qualifier
- - Wayne Rooney (1st) 62nd minute, v Portugal, 1st Jul 2006, World Cup Finals
- - David Beckham (2nd) 59th minute, v Austria, 8th Oct 2005, World Cup Qualifier
- - Alan Smith (1st) 90th minute, v Macedonia, 16th Oct 2002, European Championship Qualifier
- - David Batty (1st) 84th minute, v Poland, 8th Sep 1999, European Championship Qualifier
- - Paul Scholes (1st) 51st minute, v Sweden, 5th Jun 1999, European Championship Qualifier
- - Paul Ince (1st) 66th minute, v Sweden, 5th Sep 1998, European Championship Qualifier
- - David Beckham (1st) 47th minute, v Argentina, 30th Jun 1998, World Cup Finals
- - Ray Wilkins (1st) 43rd minute, v Morocco, 6th Jun 1986, World Cup Finals
- - Trevor Cherry (1st) 83rd minute, v Argentina, 12th Jun 1977, Friendly
- - Alan Ball (1st) 76th minute, v Poland, 6th Jun 1973, World Cup Qualifier
- - Alan Mullery (1st) 89th minute, v Yugoslavia, 5th Jun 1968, European Championship Finals