Match No. 289 - Sunday, 20th June 1954, 5:10pm
World Cup Finals (World Cup 1954) Pool 4 Game 2
- World Cup Format: The 1954 World Cup had a perculiar format. Two seeded teams would be drawn with two non-seeded teams in each of the four groups of four. Instead of the usual round-robin format the seeded teams only played the non-seeded teams and extra-time was used for group matches ending in a draw.
- Qualification: England had qualified for the quarter-finals having played their two games and winning Pool 4 with 3 points.
- Player Milestone: Bill McGarry's 1st Cap
- Player Milestone: Jimmy Mullen's Last Cap
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Official FIFA report